In 2018 we donated over £28,000 to local charities. This was achieved through the generosity of our insurers, our suppliers, our people and our amazing customers! In 2019 we are continue our local fundraising and trying to make as big an impact as possible.
Each of our branches will support a local charity voted for by our customers. This year our Rutherglen branch customers voted for Rutherglen & Cambuslang Foodbank!
The partnership will last for the whole year and include a range of support such as awareness-raising and fundraising in branch, volunteering and donations.
In 2019 we will take part in the following fundraising activities or give donations.
- Happy Easter – we played the Easter Bunny and dropped off Easter eggs for the children of those supported by the Foodbank.
- The Glasgow Kiltwalk – to fundraise we took part in the Glasgow Kiltwalk, a 25m walk from Glasgow to Balloch on 28th April 19. Our Rutherglen Branch raised a fantastic total of £1277.64. This includes Sir Tom Hunter’s generous 40% top up on everyone’s fundraising.
- Feedback – for every customer feedback our Rutherglen Branch receives, we will donate £1 to Chris’s House.
- Renewal Customers – Each of our renewal customers is offered the option to donate 50p to their branch’s charity at renewal. Last year this raised an average of £450!
- On Thursday 20th & Friday 21st June, our Rutherglen Team joined the Foodbank at Cambuslang Morrison’s to help out with the their Food Drive.
- November Food Drive – On 22nd November out Rutherglen team helped out the Foodbank with their Food Drive at Dalmarnock Tesco.
- Food Donations – our team, with the support of our customers, continue to make regular food and toiletry donations to the Foodbank.
Why this amazing charity was chosen:
Rutherglen and Cambuslang Foodbank opened its first distribution centre in the centre of Rutherglen in December 2013. The organisation grew opening a second distribution centre in Whitlawburn in May 2014, and a third in Cambuslang in February of 2015.
They provide three days’ nutritionally balanced emergency food and support to local people who are referred to them in crisis. They are part of a nationwide network of foodbanks, supported by The Trussell Trust, working to combat poverty and hunger across the UK.
During 2016/17, a staggering 1,182,954 three day emergency food supplies were provided by the Foodbank to people in crisis.
The distribution centres and warehouse are staffed entirely by volunteers, and they rely on the generosity of the public in Rutherglen and Cambuslang to enable them to continue to provide this vital lifeline.