Student Home Insurance

If your children are about to go and study at college or university in the UK, then your home insurance could cover them as standard. We’ve answered some common questions below.


1. Are my children covered at university?

Check your home insurance policy to find out if it covers students, and what it actually covers.As most students rent while at university, student belongings cover could be included in a standard policy, but building insurance won’t be – the university or landlord would have to talk to their insurance if there’s any damage to the student property itself.

For example, some standard home contents insurance provides student belongings cover of up to £3,000  for loss or damage to your contents while its being temporarily kept in any student accommodation


2. Do students need home insurance?

Students are as vulnerable to the theft or damage of property as anyone else – especially as they rarely have any say over the home security at their flat.

What’s often more important to students than the physical items are what’s on them. The blow of having a laptop stolen is as much about losing the work on it as the money it cost – as well as any digital downloads.

Files should be backed up securely, but if you lose downloaded music, films or books you may also be covered.


Find Your Local Branch for a Quote


3. What home insurance do students need?

As well as getting home contents insurance, students should consider personal belongings cover as well. This will protect their belongings while a student is out and about, so they don’t have to worry about taking their laptops and smartphones with them.

Some home insurance policies have personal belongings as standard, or they can be added on.

You can add on personal belongings insurance to the most insurance policies.


4. What does home insurance cover me for?

Depends on the policy, however student insurance is usually just part of standard insurance and covers the following:

  • Fire
  • Flood
  • Theft or attempted theft – where there is proof of forcible entry
  • Vandalism

Personal belongings cover is required to cover laptops, smartphone, cameras etc .

Remember to always check if larger items are covered. Bikes, for example, may not be covered as standard.


Call us for a quote or advice on student insurance  0141 212 9555