The holidays are something we all look forward to – a chance to take a break and maybe even get away. If you’re planning a road trip this week, make sure your journey is both safe and enjoyable by spending some time planning your route and checking if there are any problems with it in terms of traffic or weather. The last thing you want is to be stuck in traffic or suffer a breakdown and not be prepared. Here are a list of things that will ensure your road trip is safe and hassle free.
- Make sure exterior and dashboard lights are working
- Windscreen wiper blades should be in good condition
- Check oil, coolant and washer fluid levels
- Check condition of tyres and ensure they are at the correct pressure, including the spare wheel
- It’s useful to have a reflective jacket, and warning triangle in the vehicle.
- It’s useful to have a mobile phone with GPS capability in case you don’t know exactly where you are.
- Ensure you have breakdown cover and keep the number of your provider stored in your mobile phone. Click here if you need to organise cover.
What to do if your vehicle breaks down
- Always exit the vehicle through the doors on the left hand side and if there is a safety barrier stand behind it – it’s important to stay well away from moving traffic. However, if you feel threatened sit in the passenger seat, lock the door and phone 999.
- Don’t try to make repairs yourself, wait for a rescue vehicle.
You should also make sure you’ve got everything you need in the vehicle before you set out, in case the unexpected happens:
- Empty fuel can
- First aid kit
- Mobile phone charger
- Jump leads