Brexit – Driving Abroad

With negotiations continuing over the Brexit deal, we want to provide an update on the potential impact on our customers should the UK leave the EU without a withdrawal agreement.

It is important to note that nothing has been formally agreed at this point, but we want our customers to be aware of the potential implications on the motor insurance industry.

Guidance from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) and Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) is that drivers should be prepared and have a Green Card when driving abroad after midnight on the 31st October.

Why is a Green Card needed?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary third party insurance cover. These certificates prove that customers are suitably insured to drive in these countries. A physical copy of a Green Card on green paper is needed when travelling as digital copies are not currently accepted. If customers arrive at the border without a physical Green Card, they may not be allowed to drive in that country.

We will keep you updated with further information when there is more clarity regarding the long term implications of Brexit.


Please feel free to contact your local branch if you have any questions.