Our Code of Conduct
Compliant and fair conduct of business
In all aspects of our business we ensure we know the legal requirements and comply with them. Laurie Ross is committed to fair and responsible business conduct. We must adhere to all laws, including the financial rules and regulations of the UK as well as with our own internal policies.
- We not only ask if something is legally permissible, but also if it is the right thing to do
- We conduct ourselves with honesty, fairness and integrity in our workplace
- We acknowledge that just because others may do something, that doesn’t make it right
We are committed to forthright, full and prompt disclosure when communicating with regulators, we are open, honest and cooperative with any government investigation or regulatory audit.
Equal employment, harassment-free workplace
Laurie Ross maintains an environment that is respectful of all employees and free from all forms of discrimination and harassment.
Our people are the diverse men and women who together strive to make Laurie Ross the best Scottish personal lines broker. We value their passion and personal integrity, and recognise those as the basis of our strength. Employees are expected to treat one another with respect and dignity.
Laurie Ross does not tolerate discrimination or harassment in the workplace, including on the basis of age, disability, ethnicity, national origin, gender, race, colour, religion, marital status, sexual orientation or other perceived differences. These principles extend to all employment decisions including recruiting, training, evaluation, promotion and reward.
Laurie Ross endeavours to provide its employees with safe, healthy and secure work environments. We comply with all applicable health and safety policies requirements including:
- Keeping our working area clean, healthy and free from hazards that can lead to accidents, emergencies, health issues or security risks
- Avoiding any behaviour or actions that could put you or your colleagues at risk
- Promptly addressing and reporting any safety or health concerns, risks or hazards
Protecting data and safeguarding confidential information is a priority for Laurie Ross. We take appropriate measures against the unauthorised or unlawful processing of data that Laurie Ross maintains and against its accidental loss, access, destruction or damage.
As a Laurie Ross employee you are expected to:
- Safeguard confidential information of Laurie Ross, its employees, its customers, business affiliates and other stakeholders through its entire life cycle, from origin to safe disposal
- Collect, process and share personal data only for specified, legitimate and required purposes and only to the extent necessary
- Access, use and disclose confidential information only on a need-to-know basis and when authorised for a legitimate business purpose
- Respect privacy rights and preferences of the persons whose data we process
- Ensure that electronic personal data or confidential information is protected in transmission and storage through adequate technical safeguards
- Report data security breaches through appropriate management channels as quickly as possible
Personal data is any information related to an identified or identifiable individual (or entity, where locally applicable). Personal data, electronic and non-electronic, can be employee, customer or third-party data and includes such information as name, address, date of birth, payment card number, or similar information.
Confidential information is intended solely for use within Laurie Ross.
Conflicts of interest
Laurie Ross’s reputation depends on the actions and integrity of its employees. It is important that any decision taken as a Laurie Ross employee is based on the interests of our company and not based on self-interest. Every day we make business decisions and may occasionally be presented with a conflict of interest between our company’s and our personal interests, when working with customers, insurers or others.
It is imperative that you always
- Maintain your objectivity and ensure your judgment is not compromised by personal or family interest.
- Refrain from any activity if a conflict of interest arises.
- Disclose conflicts of interest to your manager and ensure that they are satisfactorily managed and/or eliminated.
- Consult management whenever in doubt.
Laurie Ross is committed to fair and responsible business and prohibits all forms of bribery, or corruption and any business conduct that could create the appearance of improper influence.
Employees are expected to avoid any conduct that could have the appearance of improper influence and must therefore:
- Ensure that all gifts, entertainment and other advantages, either given or received, in connection with business activities are appropriate to the circumstances, and moderate in terms of value, frequency and quantity
- Never give or receive gifts, entertainment or other advantages that:
- Are cash payments or cash equivalents
- Are intended to create the appearance of obtaining or retaining an improper business or personal benefit.
- Could cause a conflict of interest for either party
- Ensure that political, charitable and similar contributions made by Laurie Ross comply with applicable laws and the requirements of Laurie Ross’s policy, as they must not be, or give the appearance of being, used for any illegal or improper purpose
- Ensure that all payments to third parties are appropriate, supported by sound business rationale and are correctly recorded
- Ensure that appropriate due diligence on third parties is completed prior to engagement and throughout the duration of the relationship
Money laundering, Fraud, Terrorism and Financial Crime
As a customer-centric company, Laurie Ross wants to know its customers and other relevant parties to a policy. We work hard to meet their needs, but we do not engage in transactions that could be illegal or compromise our values.
Laurie Ross is committed to the fight against money laundering, financial crime and the financing of terrorism. This means you as a Laurie Ross employee must:
- Establish customers’ identities and understand the sources of the funds they bring to Laurie Ross
- Not engage in business with any person attempting to use Laurie Ross’s products or services for illegal purposes, such as laundering funds derived from illegitimate sources or facilitating crime or terrorism financing
- Be aware of laws and regulations that prohibit or restrict doing business with certain entities or individuals
- Know the regulations that apply to you
- Contact your manager in case you have any doubts or suspicions related to a customer or transaction